Few days ago in my outfit shot you saw this lovely statement necklace, which I made. I'm so so happy with the result! Actually, I was supposed to post it way way sooner, but as you know my laptop broke and some of the best DIY pictures for this necklace were in there :( Fortunately, I had some pics stored from the first statement necklace I made (which is made exactly like the one I wore!) so I hope it's not so much of a big deal.
The story behind these necklaces is so .. random, a bit sad and funny. I never had in mind doing something like that, until R accidentally broke one of our beautiful wine glasses! Those glasses meant so much to us, so I instantly thought: "Wait, we can't throw those pieces away!" So, I used a bit of my imagination, looked around the room, saw my glitter glue from another necklace project and then it hit me - why not make a necklace out of those pieces?! And so I did. Here's a little instruction on how to do it yourself!
What you need?
* Glass pieces (it can be anything - broken wine bottle, glass or whatever)
* Nail polish/paint etc
* Glitter glue
* Ribbon for attaching
1. First you need the main things - glass. The pieces can be in any size you want, that depends totally on you! We smashed the pieces a bit smaller with a hammer, so it would look more like a beautiful mosaic, but it's up to you how big/small you want the pieces to be. PS: Be VERY careful with the pieces, because they have sharp edges and you can cut in! (we both have some "battle wounds" from this project, haha).
2. Then cut out a base for the necklace out of cardboard. Again - it depends on you how to cut it because it can be in any size, shape and so on! So play around with it, it's so much fun!
3. Then comes the most difficult part - gluing the pieces on the cardboard. At the same time it's very fun to mix and match the parts like a puzzle! Put a bit of glue on the cardboard and just press the pieces on it. It should get stuck there very well.
4. And then comes my favorite step! Decorating :) I used this beautiful silver glitter nail polish, but you can use whatever color you like.
5. Then just color the pieces with the nail polish. You have to do it at least 2-3 times for it to cover! Take your time and let it dry :)
See how beautifully it shines? Me likey!
6. To add some final touches and hide the cardboard, fill the empty space with some glitter glue. I had this beautiful blue glitter glue laying around, so I used this one. The glitter glue gives such a beautiful collage impression! But I must warn you - let it dry at least 24h, because otherwise the glue can be ruined.
7. Attach a ribbon to the second side and VOILA!
Here you can see my second statement necklace as finished! The technique is exactly the same but I changed the shape (did a little triangle) and colored the pieces with different colors of nail polishes! I'm so so pleased with the outcome :)
I hope you get some inspiration from this little tutorial and maybe make one yourself too! :)